The diseases that may be examined, diagnosed and treated by General Surgery department are as follows.
- Breast cancer and benign diseases of the breast
- Thyroid gland diseases (goiter, hyperthyroidism)
- Gastric cancer
- Surgical diseases of the small intestine, intestinal obstructions
- Colon – rectum tumors, inflammatory diseases
- Anorectal diseases: Tumors, hemorrhoid, anal fissure, fistula, ingrown hair
- Benign and malign tumors and cysts of the liver.
- Gall bladder and bile duct diseases
- Pancreas cyst and tumors
- Acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Surgical diseases of the spleen
- Abdominal wall and inguinal hernia, herniations appeared after the surgery
- Different soft tissue infections
- Traumas and emergency surgery
Gastrointestinal system surgery and hepatopancreatobiliary (liver, pancreas and bile ducts) surgery procedures are performed as minimal invasive surgery, emergency surgery adn endocrine (breasts, thyroid gland and surrenal glands) surgery. Laparoscopic surgical procedures are also performed.
Trucut biopsy, guide wiring biopsy, breast protective surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy and oncoplastic surgical procedures in breast diseases are performed.
Laparoscopic surgical procedures such as cholecystectomy (gall bladder surgery), appendectomy, reflux surgery, anterior abdominal wall and inguinal hernia surgery and many other surgical procedures are performed by using latest technology full HD devices.
Modern surgical options in colon and rectum operations, hemorrhoid, fissure, fistula and ingrown hair surgeries are provided. Hemorrhoid and fistula surgeries are performed by vessel stamping devices (ligasure) and laser coagulation device.
Varicosis surgery (stripping) operations are also performed.
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer appears with uncontrolled proliferation of the cells in the breast tissue.
Uncontrolled proliferation of breast cells cause mass formation first. It may diffuse onto other organ sif not treated.
How frequent is breast cancer seen?
It is the most common cancer type detected in women. Women over one million have breast cancer each year. Breast cancer is the second in deaths due to cancer following lung cancer.
Do I Have Risk For Breast cancer?
Generally, one of each 8 women have breast cancer during their lives.
What are main Symptoms?
* Mass development in the breast,
* Change in shape and size of the breast (protuberance, flattening, thickening on the skin, color change, redness, asymmetry which was not present before etc.),
* Appearance of an asymmetry which is different from usual, shrinkage,
* Skin shrinkage,
* Unhealed wound on the breast or nipple,
* efflux from the nipple
These symptoms do not mean cancer in every case; however, a physician should be consulted in such cases.
May I be protected from Breast Cancer?
To avoid risk factors related with breast cancer, to avoid obesity, healthy nutrition, physical activity and exercise may provide some protection from breast cancer.
Is early diagnosis possible in breast cancer?
Early diagnosis of breast cancer is possible with mammography, self- breast examination, clinical breast examination (by a physician) methods.
Is breast cancer treatable?
Thanks to significant developments recently, 90% of all breast cancers may be treated. Achievement rate in the treatment for cases diagnosed earlier is higher than cases which are diagnosed lately and the disease becomes diffuse. Main treatment methods are surgery, chemotherapy, hormone treatment, beam treatment.
Such methods amy be applied individually or in combination depending on the disease and the patient.
There is a suspicious finding in mammography. What should I do now?
Clinical examination, ultrasonography, biopsy and advanced tests may be necessary in such case. Suspicious cases does not mean cancer in all cases! Only 2 to 4 cases per each 100 mammography are diagnosed with cancer. 10% of suspicious cases require biopsy, breast cancer appears in 10 to 20 cases per 100 biopsies only. Do not forget even you are diagnosed with breast cancer, breast cancer is a treatable disease.
Refer to a physician in any suspicious condition during self- breast examination!
Besides self-breast examination, get a physician examination every three years during twenty and thirty years of age and once a year after forty years.
Get a mammography each year after 40 years.
Breast examinations are performed by Prof. dr. Hedef OZGUN in Medifema Hospital. Breast imaging performed by a high technology Digital mammography device with a low radiation values are assessed by radiologists. Breast ultrasonography are also performed with mammography. Breast MRI tests are performed if medically required.
Tru-cut biopsy is done by our surgeon and radiologists if any suspicious mass or finding exist. Your biopsy results are analyzed by experienced specialists on breast pathology in our contracted pathology laboratories.
Important developments in breast cancer today are followed today. Procedures which are advanced and may be performed in limited centers on breast surgery may be performed Prof. Dr. Hedef OZGUN.
- Breast cancer screening (follow-ups with regular intervals on women without any complaint)
- Detection of high risk patients for development of breast cancer; follow-up and discussion of risk decreasing treatments.
- Differential diagnoses of breast masses.
- Assessment of breast masses and lesions with the most appropriate biopsy methods (needle biopsies, guiding wire, localization-ROLL via radioactive agent injection).
- Discussion of the most suitable treatment approaches with the patient for treatment of breast cancer.
- Informing the patient about modern surgical approaches and their availabilities (breast protective surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy techniques, breast reconstruction when all breast tissue removal is required).
- Monitoring the patients with breast cancer and supportive treatments for problems such as swelling on the arm (lymphedema) that may appear during the follow-up.
- Breast protective surgery (Removal of the mass only without removal of the breast)
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy (sampling of suspicious lymph nodes with staining, not all lymph nodes on the axillary area)
- Rapid pathological examination during the surgery (frozen section)
Pathological examination that will be done during the operation may be performed within a short period during the surgery in our hospital.
Advanced immunohistochemical examinations on the tissues removed will be assessed by experienced pathologists on breast pathology.
Specialists who come to our hospital in certain periods will provide psychological consultancy and oncology treatment.